Saturday, December 22, 2012

Moldy Salami

So the other day I found a little mold on my salami.  At first I was excited because the mold was white and white is good when it's on your salami.


As you can see not much for concern, just a little around the tip on the second one.  So I let it go hoping for the best.  The next morning I looked into my sausage chamber to find this.


Clearly, this is no good.  So I e-mailed a recent acquaintance of mine Joe Cicala, executive chef and salumiere at the excellent restaurant in South Philly Le Virtú.  By the way if you are ever in Philly I highly recommend the restaurant, amazing Italian cuisine, great atmosphere and service not to mention Joe and his crew make all their pasta, sausage and salumi from scratch.  Joe advised me to spray the moldy salami with red wine, I didn't have any on hand but I did have red wine vinegar so I sprayed and rubbed the salami down.  It took about two days but on the second day my salami was back in working order.

Another thing Joe told told me was to lower the temp and humidity.  My humidity was about 70% and the temp was around 55 degrees Fahrenheit.  Joe told me to lower it to 50 degrees and 60% humidity.  I noticed that all my salami stiffened up and and began to become tighter in its casing.  All in all, they were results that anyone would be happy to find with their salami.  So if you ever find yourself with a moldy salami just rub it down with some red wine vinegar and it will be back in business in no time!


No comments:

Post a Comment