Monday, February 11, 2013

Grand Salami

This is the biggest cured meat I have produced so far.  This is just a basic Salame recipe the quantities and percentages of each ingredient were decided upon by myself and reflect a culmination of numerous recipe's I have read and my own experimentation thus far.  This beast weighs in at about 7 1/2 pounds, the recipe is as follows.


Sorry for the lack of pictures during the process but the only difference between this one and the fresh sausage is the cure #2 and the fact that on this guy I used a 100mm synthetic casing and extra fat, (fatback).

Recipe:

Pork Butt: 6lbs (2724g)
Fatback: 1.5 lbs (681g)
Sea Salt: 94 g (2.75% of total weight of meat and fat)
Cure #2: 8.5g (.25% of total weight of meat and fat)
Superfine sugar: 15g
Fennel: 7g
Garlic: 3 cloves, (ground with mix
Red wine (Montepulciano D'Abruzzo)
Black Pepper: 2.5g
Paprika: 2.5g

The amount of spices is pretty toned down from my fresh sausage so we'll see how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment